Main Content Area
2013 Tech Expo - Innovating For Impact
Read about all the great things participants had to say in the Daily Egyptian. We appreciate everyone's support!
Did you hear about the results of the Saluki Idea Competition?
2013 Inventor Awardees Announced
The organizers and sponsors of the 2013 SIU Technology and Innovation Expo would like to congratulate our inventor award winners:
Inventor of the Year:
Professor David Lightfoot, Department of Plant, Soil, and Agricultural Systems, College of Agricultural Sciences, has been a prolific inventor since arriving at SIU. He has been the co-inventor on 7 issued patents since 1999 involving crop productivity and disease resistance primarily focused on soybeans. Three of these patents are licensed to a major US agriculture and plant biotechnology company and the inventions have earned substantial royalties to date. David is also an inventor or co-inventor on 8 pending patents. These inventions could help make a big difference for the productivity of farmers nationwide and beyond. Congratulations Dr. David Lightfoot, inventor of the year!
Innovator of the Year:
Dr. Peter Fadde, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education and Human Services, specializes in computer applications for training expert perceptual skills in sports such as tennis, softball, and baseball and other fields requiring perceptual decision making.based upon cognitive recognition. Peter's research has broken new ground in this field, and he has been applying training techniques with numerous baseball and softball organizations, both amateur and professional, as well as the United States Tennis Association. Peter has a patent pending for his invention for baseball and softball applications and his research has already resulted in a product now being sold nationwide by a sports training company, with other products anticipated.
Startup of the Year:
Dr. Paul Chugh, Department of Mining and Mineral Resources Engineering, College of Engineering has been an active researcher and inventor in the fields of mining safety and productivity for decades. Paul, along with a management team involving other current and former SIU staff, has recently formed a company to commercialize a number of his inventions.. Minerals Development Technologies, Inc (MDT) will initially focus on dust control technologies for continuous mining machines. The first dust control-related patent has been approved by the United State patent and Trademark Office with two others pending, and MDT is well on its way to achieving its first commercial sales to coal companies in the region.
Student Startup of the Year:
orderbolt, Inc., Bryce Morrison · Orderbolt has evolved into the premiere mobile application for streamlining rent payments. Bryce Morrison, founder and CEO of orderbolt, was a senior in marketing at SIU when he won the 2011 Collegiate Camp CEO-Saluki Operation Bootstrap. Bryce won $7500 in seed capital and $2500 in resources. The original idea was using smartphones to place orders in bars and restaurants. Orderbolt’s team has six Salukis, including two interns.
The 5th annual Technology and Innovation Expo took place Friday, October 25, 2013 at the Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center in Carbondale. Congrats to attendee David Schau for winning this year's door prize provided by the SalukiTech Computer Store: a Dell Latitude 10 tablet. The all-day event started off at 9:00 a.m. with technology presentations by SIU faculty covering computer science, medical devices, energy and more. Lawrence Cruz, chief patent counsel for Conair Corporation and SIU alumnus gave the luncheon keynote, catered by 17th Street Barbecue. An expert panel covered innovative financing alternatives for entrepreneurs after lunch. At 3:00 p.m. elevator pitches for the Saluki Idea Competition were presented, followed by three tech presentations by current and former SIU students. Innovator and Saluki Idea Competition awards started at 4:00 p.m. at the catered reception.
- View the day's Agenda.
- The morning highlight was SIU faculty technology presentationsfeaturing patented and patent-pending technologies available for license.
- The 2013 keynote speaker was Lawrence Cruz, chief patent counsel for Conair Corporation and SIU alumnus.
- After lunch (catered by 17th Street Barbeque), an expert discussion panel on "Innovative Financing for Startups" took place.
- The Saluki Idea Competition elevator pitches took place in the afternoon following the discussion panel, with winners announced at the reception.
- SIU student innovator presentations took place after the pitches.
- A wine and appetizer reception with award presentations wraped up the day's events.
- Throughout the day, Tech Expo sponsors and select community and student organizations and representatives were on display in the exhibit hall.
The 2013 Tech Expo was at the Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center in Carbondale, Illinois.
Curiosity >>> Motivation >>> Action
The annual Tech Expo is a day of reconnecting with that sense of what makes a research university like SIU great. World-class scientists and cutting-edge students discuss their latest findings with a diverse audience, inspiring curiosity. A distinguished keynote speaker illustrates their path to success, inspiring motivation. A panel of experts reveals insider information that opens new doors, inspiring action. The Expo provides an opportunity for attendees to:
- Catch up with colleagues in a convenient and relaxed atmosphere.
- Learn about the latest technology innovations and research advances at SIU.
- Make connections with new people and ideas
- Discover ways to take your research, innovation or business to the next level.
Positive feedback from past Tech Expo's:
- Great event!
- Excellent speakers!
- Interesting and potentially commercial projects/products/ideas.
- Thanks for the good food!
- Very informative, interesting and affordable.
- Went way over expectations.
- Entrepreneurs, Inventors, Innovators
- Executives, Managers, Business People
- Bankers, Investors, Advisers
- Scientists, Technologists, Science and Technology Enthusiasts
- Economic Developers, Chambers of Commerce, Community Organizations
- SIU Faculty, Staff, Students
- Anyone interested in technology and/or innovation!
How do we do it, you ask? Many thanks to our sponsors, who make the Tech Expo possible!